2008-01-12

Brady.

Shocker. Tom Brady, the inventor of American football, will be playing in the Conference Championship game again.
I was really rooting for the Jags tonight. Not because I really dislike Brady, but because I am sick of hearing countless sports pundits beg Brady to make love to their wives.

But really, in the modern watered-down sense of the word, Tom Brady is a hero. Dogmatically speaking, it must be incredibly difficult to walk, much less play professional football, in Tom Brady's condition. Imagine walking around every day with dozens of sports commentators so far up your ass.

As I consider Jacksonville's loss, I am thinking maybe I do hate Tom Brady. Maybe I, like Americans all over America, hate winners. Let us face the truth. Americans love losers and winners are looked at with suspicion.

Now, let's not attack the Patriots. Let us congratulate them for being the first team in NFL history to win every game in the same season they were caught cheating.

Still, why do people watch American Idol? Is it because they love mid-rate singing? Because they find Ryan Seacrest riveting? Because they love hearing the English degrade Americans? Or, is it because they love to see failures. The first half of the season is spent showing delusional people who suck at singing sing their hearts out. And, we laugh. We laugh because we root for the loser. Rather than root for those who spent the time earning the right to win, rather than rooting for those who innovate we root for those who choose not to be competitive. And so, as an American I root against the Patriots.

After all, that is why American's love to tax the wealthy, right? I mean, they were innovative, they created, and they earned the right to win. Rather than point to their success as an example for our children, we assume that they must have screwed someone to get where they are. They must have abused the environment and given nothing back to society. All because we hate those who are willing to work harder than we are. Go losers!

So, I may be another bitter American who hates the Patriots because they win. Well, that and the memory of the Raiders being screwed out of a trip to the big game by a bad call in a game against the Pats (nah, I have been able to let that go. Sort of. Kind of. Not at all.).

4 Comments:

Blogger You can Call me AL said...

Oh Shit! I'm worried now, I completely understand this post.

1/13/2008 12:17 AM  
Blogger Dogmatist said...

I understand how that can be scary.

1/13/2008 1:01 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Wait...cheating is bad? Crap.

1/14/2008 10:58 PM  
Blogger Schmoop said...

While it is true we root for losers, why is that Bush only has an approval rating around 30%. Cheers!! (And thanks for the link, I'll add you as well.)

1/15/2008 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home